POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : "Simulated" spotlights question : Re: "Simulated" spotlights question Server Time
26 Jun 2024 04:51:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Simulated" spotlights question
From: Kman
Date: 20 Oct 2003 16:08:53
Message: <3f9440d5$1@news.povray.org>
Okay, so playing around with this lense idea gets some really cool lighting
effects, but none of these is having any effect at all on the shadows. I can
only assume that shadows are created/calculated in a different process by
POV-Ray. Does this mean that its not a true ray-trace process according to
the strictest definition of the term? I'm just learning all this stuff, but
I thought I understood ray-tracing to be a process by which every pixel or
sub-pixel on the "screen" (or picture-frame, for lack of a better
descriptive) was "traced" back to its light source, picking up color
properties along the way based on the properties of the objects and lights
in the scene. Too simplistic a description, I'm guessing. Could someone
'splain?

-Kman

"Kman" <mzu### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Okay, I turned on and input a setting of 0.5 for my "caustics" setting of
> the lense material and it caused the light to be bent. Its not having the
> hoped-for effect on my shadows, but it is having some interesting lighting
> effects on the model. (See the before and after pics in m.bin) FYI...
>
> -Kman

<snip>